As a people pleaser I want to help everyone and tend to pile quite a load on my plate! This can lead to stress and unrest so it is important for me to notice when my body is sending me signals that I am over-doing it. I have been learning more and more about how the body functions and the signs that become present when the body is unwell. I began to notice that when I get overwhelmed and overworked my body sends me signs that my adrenals are fatigued. This post will share with you the signs of adrenal fatigue and how to nourish your adrenals naturally.
What are Adrenals?
Signs of Adrenal Fatigue
- Feeling tired even when you slept well the night before.
- Trouble getting up in the morning, even when you go to bed at a reasonable hour.
- Feeling rundown all the time, or overwhelmed.
- Difficulty bouncing back from illness.
- Craving salty and sweet snacks; White bread, pasta, cookies, cakes, soda, sweet drinks.
- Feeling more awake, alert and energetic after 6PM than at any other time during the day.
- Steadily elevated cortisol levels can cause weight gain, particularly around the midsection.
- Blood sugar imbalances, high blood pressure memory loss, muscle wasting, dizziness, hot flashes, night sweats and even excessive facial hair.
- Stress, Frustration, Mood Swings.
- Low Sex Drive.
- Overworked adrenal glands eventually crash, leading to adrenal exhaustion and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
If you constantly feel tired and stressed no matter how much sleep you get, this is related to your adrenal glands and you are most likely experiencing Adrenal Fatigue. This condition effects up to 80% of the population at some point during an individual’s life, and that’s only in industrialized nations!
How to Nourish the Adrenals Naturally
Sleep is important in order for our bodies to function properly. Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep a night in order to restore and repair your body and to balance your hormones. And don’t feel bad if you still feel the need for a nap during the day. When you feel tired your body is sending you a message that you should not ignore. You can click here to learn how to sleep better naturally.
Diet plays a very important role in our overall health and well-being. Keeping your blood sugar stable is key, but there are also some specific foods to avoid and to incorporate into your diet to give your adrenals support and nourishment. I believe in getting our nutrients through real food instead of via supplements for many reasons. Here is a list of foods to avoid, and which to consume, in order to nourish the adrenals naturally.
What to avoid:
- Table Salt
Foods to Nourish the Adrenals Naturally:
- B-complex vitamins are excellent for the adrenals. You can find B vitamins in foods such as bell peppers, spinach and meat like chicken and turkey.
- Antioxidants such as vitamin C that is in berries, bell peppers, tomatoes, leafy greens, and citrus fruits.
- Vitamin E found in broccoli, brussels sprouts, leafy greens, eggs and organ meats.
- Choline which is found in fish, liver, organ meats, leafy greens and egg yolks.
- Bee pollen (where go buy) is rich in B vitamins, amino acids, enzymes and phytonutrients and is considered an endocrine system super food. You can add a teaspoon of bee pollen to a smoothie or sprinkle it on fruit or yogurt in the morning.
- Probiotics help us to maintain proper gut health which studies show is important for mental health as well and maintaining healthy hormone and stress levels. I like to get mine naturally from fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kombucha, or if you prefer in supplement form (where to buy). You can click here to read more about the benefits of fermented foods and how easy and cost effective and beneficial for your overall well-being.
- Vitamin D is essential for overall health and well-being. I recommend getting this naturally from the sun or from Fermented Cod Liver Oil supplement (where to buy). If you choose to buy a pill form of Vitamin D make sure it is Vitamin D3.
One way to nourish the adrenals and regulate stress and hormone levels is to stimulate the limbic region of the brain. Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils are one of the only ways to help to stimulate the limbic region of the brain. High grade oils are high in sequester pines which help to increase oxygen in the limbic system. A study at New York University proved the amygdala gland (located in limbic system) does not respond to sound, sight or touch, but only release stress and emotional trauma through the sense of smell! Click here to learn how where to buy Therapeutic Grade Essential Oils
Bootcamp type or high impact classes can fatigue the adrenals further. Taking Restorative yoga classes or gentle pilates, walking, Tai Chi, etc. are all great ways to restore the body and nourish the adrenals naturally. These exercises should be done 2-3 days a week but doing them everyday is optimal. Meditation and journaling are also very important in helping us to slow down, unwind and make time for our selves. Restoration is essential in nourishing our adrenals naturally. Exercises that are high impact and stressful on the body can be overwhelming and cause additional stress on the body. Participating in mind body exercises is most beneficial physically and mentally.
You can learn more about how to heal adrenal fatigue with this awesome book by Fawne Hansen called the Adrenal Fatigue Solution (where to buy).
Disclaimer: Please note: I am not a medical professional, the information provided is strictly for informational purposes. Please use your careful discernment and double check with your naturopath or doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Like what you've read? Sign-up for my newsletter and get tips and other information on how to live a healthier and happier lifestyle!