Pregnancy is an amazing time, the body can accomplish great things and it’s almost unbelievable just how big that belly can get! All that stretching of the skin really causes a mama to earn her stripes. Fortunately there are some natural ways to prevent stretch marks, which I will share, as well as my prenatal belly butter recipe.
What Causes Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are lines that appear on the skin usually during or after pregnancy or when there is a rapid change in weight. Stretch marks can appear anywhere, but they’re most common on your stomach, breasts, upper arms, thighs, and buttocks areas. They have been found to be a result of skin stretching and an increase of cortisone in your system. Cortisone is a hormone naturally produced by your adrenal glands. However, having too much of this hormone can make your skin lose its elasticity. Stretch Marks are not harmful or dangerous and pose no health risk. Fortunately there are some natural ways to prevent stretch marks and to treat them if they occur.
Natural Ways to Prevent Stretch Marks
It is important to keep the skin healthy and hydrated to improve skin elasticity. A healthy diet high in healthy fats and antioxidants will help to prevent and heal stretch marks, prevent premature aging and other degenerative diseases. Here is a list of foods that can be incorporated in your diet to help prevent and treat stretch marks.
- Coconut Oil
- Diet full of healthy fats
- Essential Oils
- Vitamin C
Prenatal Belly Butter Recipe
- 1/2 cup of Coconut Oil (where to buy)
- 1/2 cup of Shea Butter (where to buy)
- 1/2 cup of Avocado Oil (where to buy)
- Glass Jar
- In a double boiler combine all ingredients except essential oils.
- Bring to medium heat and stir constantly until all ingredients are melted.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly and add essential oils.
- Cool in fridge for 1 hour or until starting to harden but still somewhat soft.
- Use a hand mixer to whip for 10 minutes until fluffy.
- Return to fridge for 10-15 minutes to set.
- Store the mixture in a glass jar with a lid and use as you would regular lotion or body butter. If your home stays above 75 degrees, it may soften and need to be kept at the fridge, but it will stay whipped at a temperature lower than 75.
- Apply mixture to belly once or twice daily!
For the best possible results I recommend using therapeutic grade essential oils and this is why! You can click here to learn where to order quality essential oils.