For the past couple of years I have been trying to eliminate as many toxins as I can. As women, we come into contact with so many daily between makeup and personal body products. I have done away with commercial products such as face and body wash, moisturizer, wrinkle creams and body lotion. I get many people are curious about my routine and I love sharing my secrets for how to live healthier, so why not write a post on my face care regimen! Here you go!
If you are on the crunchy scene Oil Cleansing is most likely something you have at least heard of. For anyone else, or newbie crunchy mamas, Oil Cleansing might need some explaining.
What is Oil Cleansing?
Oil cleansing is a method of washing the face using a high grade oil such as extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, sesame oil or jojoba seed oil (always organic if possible) as an alternative to face cleanser. It’s a great way to reduce toxins because by using a healthy oil, it’s the only ingredient! Many people are weary of the oil cleansing method because we have be taught that oil on our face is bad and is the source of skin problems. Because of this people focus on stripping the oil away which causes our skin to try to overcompensate by making more oil. This vicious cycle results in years of bad skin and frustration. Oil cleansing solves that because oil dissolves oil. The oil cleansing method works to balance our skin instead of stripping it of necessary oils.
Benefits of Oil Cleansing
- Protects skin naturally
- Cost effective
- Contains no toxic chemicals
- Balances and Nourishes skin
- Great for all skin types
How to do Oil Cleansing
It can be as detailed or as easy as you want it to be. Put some oil in your palm, and rub all over your face. Massage the oil all over, paying particular attention to all of your problem areas. Oil is great for removing make-up and dirt. Next get a washcloth wet with very warm (not hot) water and wring out. Lay warm damp towel over face for about 30-60 seconds to open up pores and wipe off oil. When you are done you should not need to apply moisturizer as this method is an all in one!
As I work to earn my oily badge in my quest for full fledged Crunchy Momness (And yes, we have badges!) I have been learning more and more about the amazing benefits of therapeutic grade essential oils including, and not limited to, promoting vibrant skin. Lately I’ve been taking my oil cleaning routine to the next level by adding a drop or two of essential oils. Here is a list of essential oils that are a great addition to your skincare and/or oil cleansing routine. Click here to learn where to buy therapeutic grade essential oils.
Taking it to the next level
- Frankincense: Smoothes lines and wrinkles, balances oily skin, soothes blemishes and irritations.
- Geranium: Promotes a healthy glow, giving skin a radiant and youthful appearance.
- Helichrysum: Restorative properties to mature skin, effective sunscreen.
- Jasmine: Helps to moisturize dry, dehydrated or mature skin.
- Lavender: Good for all skin types, calms and soothes skin.
- Lemon: Astringent, skin toner, helps to clear blemishes, brightens pale, dull complexion.
- Melaleuca: Effective in fighting skin eruptions with no side-effects, oil controlling agent.
- Sandalwood: Nourishes dry, dehydrated and mature skin, smoothes and softens lines and wrinkles, clears acne.
Have you tried Oil Cleansing yet? If so, how do you like it?