Let’s talk about sex, baby!
As we get older many people tend to suffer from a lower libido. Fortunately, there are natural ways to improve sex drive. This post will share with you why sex is important to our health and also some natural ways to help ignite that spark once again!
At the end of a long day after work, dealing with kids and any other life stressors an interest in intimacy can take a nose dive. This decline in sexual desire can be caused by both mental and physical factors. Declining hormones, job and relationship stress and medications can begin to take it’s toll. Low libido tends to be more common in women, but can also occur in men.
The causes can be physical such as alcoholism, obesity, prescribed drugs or hormone imbalances. Low libido can also be a result of psychological issues such as exhaustion, stress and overwork, depression or relationship problems. Other factors for women such as birth control can alter sex drive. Roughly 40% of women who take birth control pills report suffering from low sex drive. Contraceptives alter the natural production of testosterone which is what causes a women’s sex drive.
Why is Sex Important?
Sex is very important for our health and well-being. It helps to boost our immune system, relieve stress, tension and also encourages a healthy relationship with our lover. CLICK HERE for a great post by Real Fit Mama on the Top 10 Reasons You Need to Have More Sex.
How to Improve Sex Drive Using Natural Methods
- Live Healthy– This should come as no surprise- Our health and well-being affects many bodily functions, and sexual function is no different. Making an effort to improve health will increase energy and vitality which will translate over into sex life too! This side effect of looking and feeling good are well worth it impacts other aspects of
- Diet-Eating a nutritious diet low in processed foods helps the body and mind to function better. Certain foods can also be eaten that will help to naturally improve libido such as Omega-3 rich foods: Walnuts, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Kidney Beans.
- Exercise– Regular exercise increases blood flow which results in more arousal and better sex. The better sex feels the more you want to have, not to mention that when feeling toned and in shape you feel sexier, which also adds to increased libido. Also, the sooner you have sex after working out the better it will be due to endorphins being released and increased blood flow that takes place from physical activity.
- Watch alcohol intake– Many people mistakenly believe that alcohol is an aphrodisiac when in fact it does the opposite. This affects both men and women causing them to feel declined sensitivity during sex. The sexual response is reduced by both regular and prolonged drinking. However, studies also show that red wine in moderation can help boost libido naturally.
- Massage– This is a great way to help relieve stress and increase blood flow. Turning down the lights and starting with a back massage can help to get you and your partner in the mood. You can take this one step further and learn acupressure or reflexology techniques, paying attention to the big toe and around the ankle, to help naturally increase libido. You can make up a batch of THIS awesome homemade massage oil that also doubles as a natural lubricant without containing harmful chemicals that can also impair sexual health.
- Aromatherapy– Essential oils can be very helpful to promote the relaxation response combating stress and also to inspire us to get in the mood. Lavender oil and chamomile oil increases feelings of relaxation and reduces mental stress. Research shows that the scent of Pumpkin Pie combined with Lavender helps to increase the penile blood flow for men. Other scents that are helpful to boost libido naturally include Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Goldenrod, Clary Sage and Patchouli oils. Click here to learn where to get essential oils.
Herbs and Vitamins to Naturally Increase Libido Are:
Taking these herbs/supplements in either pill or dried herb forms will work and is recommended for both men and women. Please make sure to check with your health care practitioner before taking any herbs or supplements.
Are you looking to boost your sex drive naturally? Have you tried any of the above mentioned suggestions? Or do you have your own natural methods to improve sex drive? We would love to hear what worked for you!
Disclaimer: Please note: I am not a medical professional, the information provided is strictly for informational purposes. Please use your careful discernment and double check with your naturopath or doctor before taking any vitamins or supplements
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Like what you've read? Sign-up for my newsletter and get tips and other information on how to live a healthier and happier lifestyle!